Crush the garlic cloves. Finely chop the onions. Finely chop the celery. Finely slice the medium leeks. Grate the parsnips. Grate the carrots. Peel and halve the potatoes. Grate the Cheddar cheese.
- 1 For the filling, heat a frying pan and dry-fry the beef until brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and pour off any fat.
- 2 Add the oil and gently fry the onion and celery for 5 minutes.
- 3 Add the garlic, oregano and tomatoes, season and cook for 5 minutes until reduced to a thick sauce.
- 4 Stir in the beef, stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil then reduce to a low heat.
- 5 Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 10 minutes. Cool then coarsely grate.
- 6 For the topping, heat the oil in another pan and fry the leeks for 1 minute.
- 7 Add the remaining veg and fry for 2 minutes. Take off the heat and season generously.
- 8 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 6 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 9 Layer up the beef, veg and cheese in a greased baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Good easy to make comfort food. Will be adding some herbs and spices next time, as could definitely use a bit more flavour.
What a lovely twist to normal cottage pie, I did add extra garlic and more beef stock as it was a bit bland, turned out really delicious.
Really healthy dish to make loved it although all the grating makes a total mess beware !
Great way to sneak vegetables into a meal without a boring side dish. Definitely need a food processor with a grating attachment for this one though!
Delicious , really easy to make , very tasty cottage pie with a twist
Delicious! Added a few extra spuds and a little more grated cheese. Love the veggie rosti topping and a great way to get kids to eat vegetables😊
Really lovely, have made this twice, and would recommend this dish.
Made this meal this evening, simple and delicious! I added slightly more cheese grated on the topping which went nice and crispy once baked in the oven. Highly recommended!
Made a vegetarian version with Quorn mince and lentils, it was so easy to make and tasted delicious.
Very nice!! Family just finished eating and asked for more. I did add a little tomato purée.