Toast the pecan halves.
- 1 Heat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2. Finely chop 25g pecans. Put the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl and whisk to stiff peaks. Add the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking well between each addition, until smooth and glossy. Fold in the finely chopped pecans.
- 2 Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment. Spoon the meringue mix into 6 x 11cm diameter circles (3 on each baking sheet). Place in the oven on the lowest shelves and reduce the temperature to 100°C/80°C/gas ¼.
- 3 Cook for 1 hour, then turn off the oven but don’t open the door. Leave the meringues in the oven to cool for 2 hours.
- 4 Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Spread the chocolate in a thin layer on a baking sheet and leave to set until firm.
- 5 Hold a knife at a 45 degree angle to the surface of the baking sheet and push it along the chocolate to scrape up curls. Place the curls on a plate and chill until ready to use.
- 6 Remove the meringues from the oven and carefully transfer to serving plates. To make the filling, whip the cream and icing sugar to soft peaks.
- 7 Fold in the coffee and spoon the mixture into the centre of the meringues. Roughly chop the rest of the toasted pecans and scatter over the meringues. Decorate with the chocolate curls to serve.
Gorgeous pud. Made this for my husband and his friend and it was a big hit. Will definitely make it again.