Split the vanilla pods lengthways and scrape the seeds out. Break the cocoa vanilla cream biscuits into small chunks.
- 1 Place a lidded container in the freezer.
- 2 Heat the cream, milk vanilla pod and seeds in a saucepan until just boiling.
- 3 Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove the vanilla pod.
- 4 Whisk together the yolks and sugar until thick.
- 5 Slowly pour in the cream mix, whisking continuously.
- 6 Put the mixture back into the saucepan and stir constantly over a low heat for about 10 minutes, until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- 7 Pour into a bowl, cover the surface with cling-film to stop it forming a skin and leave to cool.
- 8 Transfer to the container, cover and freeze for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- 9 Remove from the freezer and beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Return to the freezer for another 1 hour.
- 10 Beat again until smooth, then return to the freezing once more for another 1 hour, before beating again.
- 11 Stir the biscuits through the ice cream and freeze until firm. Remove the container from the freezer 20 minutes before serving.
Long process, well worth the effort. Tastes delicious!