Grate and zest the clementines. Separate the medium eggs. Bruise the cardamom pods. Break the dark chocolate into small pieces.
- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Put the butter in a saucepan and heat gently, until melted.
- 3 Brush one ramekin per serving with some of the melted butter. Sprinkle each one with a little caster sugar, shaking out the excess.
- 4 Return the remaining butter to the hob and stir in the flour, then remove from the heat and gradually add the milk.
- 5 Return to the hob over a medium heat, bring to the boil, stirring continuously, and cook for 2 minutes.
- 6 Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, clementine zest and juice, and egg yolks. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- 7 Using an electric hand mixer, whisk the egg whites to form stiff peaks, then fold a spoonful into the mixture in the bowl.
- 8 Using a metal spoon, fold in the rest of the egg whites. Spoon into the ramekins and bake for 15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- 9 Meanwhile, put the cardamom pods in a small heatproof bowl with 1 tbsp boiling water per pod and leave to infuse for 5 minutes.
- 10 Put the chocolate and cream in a saucepan.
- 11 Remove the cardamom pods from the water, then discard them. Add the water to the chocolate and cream and, over a low heat, stir gently until the chocolate has melted and the sauce is smooth.
- 12 Serve the sauce immediately, alongside the soufflés.
- Average per serving
- Calories 575.0kCal