Split the vanilla pods lengthways. Zest the oranges. Beat the eggs. Dice the unsalted butter.
For the Blueberry Compote
- 1 Put all the ingredients in a medium pan and heat gently until the blueberries soften.
- 2 Set aside for 5 minutes, then remove and discard the vanilla pod. Transfer to a serving dish.
For the Churros
- 3 Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- 4 Put the butter in a pan with just under 35ml of cold water per serving (eg. for 6 servings use just under 210ml) and a pinch of salt. Cook over a medium heat until the butter melts, then bring to the boil.
- 5 Remove from the heat and add the flour. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- 6 Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool for 2 minutes.
- 7 Gradually beat in the eggs until smooth.
- 8 Stir in the orange zest, cover the bowl and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- 9 Pour enough oil into a large saucepan until one-third full. Place over a medium heat until the oil reaches 180°C.
- 10 Spoon the batter into a piping bag fitted with a large star-shaped nozzle.
- 11 Pipe 2 or 3 finger-length pieces directly into the oil, snipping off each with scissors. Cook for about 45 seconds each side, until golden.
- 12 Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with sugar.
- 13 Repeat until all the batter is used.
And the rest...
- 14 Serve the churros together with the compote.
Tasted very good but didn't look as good as the picture.
I'm doing it for my brothers birthday So please wish me luck
- Average per serving
- Calories 525.0kCal