- 1 Heat the oven to 140°C/275°F/gas 1 (120°C for fan ovens). Lightly oil a baking sheet, line with baking paper and lightly oil this too.
- 2 Beat together the egg whites and caster sugar until very stiff.
- 3 Add the icing sugar, vanilla extract, cornflour and vinegar, and beat for another 4 minutes until very stiff and glossy.
- 4 Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (the base of the bowl must not touch the water), add the chocolate and leave to melt for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5 Pour 3 tbsp melted chocolate over the meringue mix, stirring it through once only.
- 6 Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle – or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off – and pipe 8 swirled blobs onto the baking sheet.
- 7 Bake on a middle shelf in the oven for 35 minutes.
- 8 Turn off the oven, open the door and leave the meringues inside to cool for about 30 minutes.
- 9 Reheat the leftover chocolate until smooth and runny. Remove from the heat, stir in the double cream and leave to cool until it’s spreadable.
- 10 Use to sandwich together the meringues and serve.
- Average per serving
- Calories 700.0kCal