Finely chop the 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate. Sift the icing sugar. Finely chop the 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate.
- 1 Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- 2 Grease and line 3 x 18cm sandwich tins. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second bursts. Set aside.
- 3 Put the remaining cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
- 4 Add the melted chocolate and beat until combined.
- 5 Divide the mixture evenly among the tins.
- 6 Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cakes.
- 7 Allow the cakes to cool, remove from the tins and wrap in clingfilm.
- 8 Freeze for 1 hour so they firm up (or freeze until needed, then thaw slightly if making in advance).
- 9 Meanwhile, make the buttercream.
- 10 Beat the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- 11 Add the icing sugar a bit at a time until combined.
- 12 Add the vanilla essence and a pinch of salt; mix well.
- 13 When the cakes are firm, slice each in half horizontally to create 6 layers.
- 14 Spread the first cake with buttercream.
- 15 Top with another layer of cake and buttercream, and repeat until all 6 layers are stacked.
- 16 Spread a thin coat of buttercream over the top and sides of the cake.
- 17 Put in the fridge to chill for 1 hour before spreading the cake with a thick layer of buttercream.
- 18 Place back in the fridge while you make the chocolate drizzle.
- 19 To make the drizzle, put the chocolate in a bowl.
- 20 Heat the cream until just steaming, but not bubbling, then pour it over the chocolate.
- 21 Leave for 5-10 minutes, add the golden syrup and stir until smooth.
- 22 Transfer to a jug.
- 23 Pour the chocolate mixture onto the centre of the cake.
- 24 Spread it to the edges of the cake using a spatula, and encourage it to drip down the sides.
- 25 Return the cake to the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up the topping.
- 26 Decorate the top with individual chocolates and cut into thin slices to serve.
Lovely rich dessert have made this several times always a winner😀
It wasn't that hard to make as I expected! Took me about 4 hours and it was worth it!
Very indulgent & was fairly easy to make
- Average per serving
- Calories 759.0kCal