Grate the Cheddar cheese. Cut the Maris Piper potatoes into 2cm chunks. Cut the broccoli into 1cm pieces. Finely chop the onions. Crush the garlic cloves.
And the rest...
- 1 First, make the meatballs. Add the mince to a large bowl with a good pinch of salt and pepper and mix together firmly using your hands until well combined.
- 2 Divide the mix into about 16 small balls, rolling together with wet hands. Take a pinch of cheese and push into the centre of the ball, then close the meat around it so it is sealed.
- 3 Add the potatoes to a large pan of boiling water, simmer for 15 minutes then add the chopped broccoli for a further 5 minutes until everything is tender.
- 4 While the potatoes are cooking, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the meatballs to the pan and fry for 3-5 minutes until brown and caramelised all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- 5 Turn the heat down to medium, add 2 tbsp of olive oil to the same pan and fry the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until they are soft. Season with salt and pepper and add the dried herbs.
- 6 Next, stir in the chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil before adding the meatballs back to the sauce. Simmer on a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through with no pink. Add any salt and pepper to taste.
- 7 Once the potatoes and broccoli are ready, drain the water and allow to steam dry for 2 minutes in the strainer before returning the potatoes and broccoli to the pan.
- 8 Add a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper before mashing to your desired consistency. To serve, top a spoonful of broccoli potato mash with the meatballs in the sauce and grated cheddar cheese.