Stone and roughly chop the red cherries. Break the dark chocolate into pieces. Bruise the cardamom pods.
- 1 Put the chocolate in a heavy-based pan with the milk and cardamom pods. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted.
- 2 Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl.
- 3 Bring the milk almost to the boil, strain it onto the egg yolks and whisk to combine.
- 4 Return the mixture to the pan and stir over a gentle heat until the custard has thickened slightly and coats the back of a spoon (don’t allow it to boil or it will curdle).
- 5 Pour into a bowl, cover the surface with cling-film. Leave to cool.
- 6 Softly whip the cream and fold it into the chocolate custard.
- 7 Transfer to a freezer-proof container with a lid and freeze for 2-3 hours, until the custard has firmed up around the edges.
- 8 Beat until smooth, then return to the freezer for another 2 hours.
- 9 Beat again until smooth, then fold in the cherries.
- 10 Freeze for 1 hour, or until firm.
- 11 Transfer the ice cream to the fridge 20 minutes before serving, in wafer cones if you like.
- Average per serving
- Calories 518.0kCal