Finely grate the raw beetroots. Melt the butter. Melt and cool the plain chocolate. Separate the medium eggs.
- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- 2 Using your hands, squeeze any excess moisture out of the beetroot and set aside (you may want to wear rubber gloves, to avoid staining your hands).
- 3 Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- 4 Mix in the cardamom, butter, beetroot, chocolate and egg yolk.
- 5 In a clean bowl, whisk the 2 egg whites until stiff.
- 6 Fold a quarter into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the rest.
- 7 Divide the mixture among a 12-hole non-stick madeleine tin and gently level the tops.
- 8 Bake for 10-12 minutes, until risen and springy to the touch.
- 9 Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- 10 Dust with icing sugar and cocoa powder, to serve.
Lovely light and tasty, ideal for just that little something with a cuppa. I also added more cardamom, and my Madeleine tins were minis so reduced the cooking time
Love cardamom and love beetroot (chocolate less so), so had to make these! Added seeds of 3 cardamom pods to be on safe side, but would use less chocolate next time. Everyone liked them and they are kind of healthy. Great with a coffee.
If you like chocolate these are the ones for you I love them and my family love them to cook them a find out if you do
- Average per serving
- Calories 144.0kCal