Bruise the cardamom pods. Separate the medium eggs. Break the dark chocolate into small pieces. Stone the cherries.
For the Chocolate Mousse
For the Cherry Compote
And the rest...
- 1 To make the mousse, steep the cardamom pods in 1 tbsp of boiling water per pod for 10 minutes.
- 2 Strain the water into a heatproof bowl and discard the cardamom pods. Add the chocolate.
- 3 Sit the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and stir occasionally, until the chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat.
- 4 Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, followed by the butter.
- 5 Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff, then gradually add the sugar, whisking between each addition.
- 6 Fold into the chocolate mixture and spoon into 6 dessert glasses. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- 7 To make the compote, put the sugar and port in a small pan and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- 8 Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Stir them into the port mixture and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 9 Add the cherries and continue to simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until just tender.
- 10 Chill until the mousses are ready to serve, then spoon over the compote.