Slice the red onions. Separate the leaves and stalks of the thyme and discard of the stalks. Halve the baby carrots. Crumble the feta cheese.
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- 2 Take a 24cm flameproof, ovenproof pan and melt half the butter in it.
- 3 Add the onions and thyme, and gently cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the red wine vinegar, stirring.
- 4 Allow it to evaporate, then scoop the onions out of the pan, season to taste with salt and black pepper, and set aside.
- 5 Melt the remaining butter in the pan, add the carrots and cumin seeds.
- 6 Stir so the carrots are coated in butter, add a splash of water and cover with a lid.
- 7 Cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes, until tender.
- 8 Remove the lid, raise the heat and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the liquid evaporates and the carrots begin to caramelise.
- 9 Remove from the heat and season to taste.
- 10 Meanwhile, roll out the pastry and cut out a circle about 1.5cm larger all round than your pan.
- 11 When cool enough to handle, arrange the carrots in neat rows in the pan, cut-sides down.
- 12 Spread the onions on top, filling in any gaps, and top with the feta.
- 13 Place the pastry on top and tuck it slightly around the carrots, crimping with your fingers to make it fit the pan.
- 14 Make a slit in the centre of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- 15 Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- 16 Place a large serving plate on top of the pan and, wearing oven gloves, invert to serve.
Easy recipe with maximum impact!
What a delightful dish. I'm a rubbish cook, but this was simple to follow if only a little fiddly at times. The flavour was divine and rather filling. Since I didn't make it with anything I actually used the ingredients for 3 people for just the 2 of us which was more than enough. We both felt very full after such a hearty meal. Will make again some time.
- Average per serving
- Calories 507.0kCal