Halve, stone and thinly slice the plums. Soften the butter.
- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 (170°C for fan ovens).
- 2 Butter a 20cm cake tin and dust with a little flour, shaking out the excess.
- 3 Reserve 1 tbsp sugar, and beat the rest with the butter in a large bowl, until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg.
- 4 Sift together the flour and baking powder, and fold into the mixture with the ground almonds.
- 5 Gently stir in the buttermilk, then spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- 6 Arrange the plums on top in a single layer and sprinkle over the remaining sugar.
- 7 Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- 8 Serve with fresh cream.
Tastes great but despite thinly slicing the plums they still sunk. Visually it looked nowhere near as beautiful as the pic
(I used pears instead of plums) this cake is super delicious and it was easy to make thanks to the simple recipe :-) I usually don't bake but wanted to try and the result was fantastic! This cake is tasty, and it keeps fresh for days without drying out :-)