Very thinly slice and half the blood oranges. Remove the seeds and crush the cardamom pods. Toast and roughly chop the shelled pistachios.
- 1 Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- 2 Sprinkle a 23cm square baking tin with 1 tbsp demerara sugar.
- 3 Arrange the orange slices to cover the base of the tin in a single layer.
- 4 Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the eggs with the salt and remaining sugar, until light and fluffy (around 8 mins).
- 5 Fold in the baking powder, almonds and flour.
- 6 Pour into the tin. Bake for 35-45 mins.
- 7 Leave to cool.
- 8 Turn out on to a large plate or board.
- 9 Whip the cream with the icing sugar and cardamom seeds.
- 10 Scatter the cake with pistachios and serve with the cream.
Awful !!! Don’t waste your blood oranges on this recipe. M&S this is a lovely idea but the sponge is just terrible!
Looks amazing! Soft sponge. But no flavour. Disappointing:( the only slight saviour was the cream.
- Average per serving
- Calories 456.0kCal