Slice the shallots. Finely mince the garlic cloves.
- 1 Preheat oven to 180° Fan, 200°Conv, Gas6. Season the beef in salt and pepper then coat in the flour.
- 2 Add one knob of butter to a saucepan and sear the beef shin on all sides until well browned.
- 3 Transfer the browned meat into a casserole dish which is fitted with a lid, spread the dijon mustard over the browned meat.
- 4 Melt the second knob of butter into the saucepan .
- 5 Add the shallots and stir over a high heat for 5 minutes.
- 6 Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- 7 Add the red wine and stock.
- 8 Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- 9 Season with more salt and pepper if required, add the sugar.
- 10 Pour the sauce and shallot mix over the browned meat in the casserole dish, add the thyme sprig.
- 11 Place the lid on the casserole dish and put in the centre of the oven. Cook for 3 hours until the meat is tender. Check hourly, turn the meat and if required add some extra water.