Tear into small chunks the Sourdough bread. Choose varieties such as piccolini, and red and gold santini for the mixed cherry tomatoes. Finely chop the basil leaves.
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for 10 mins.
- 2 Thinly slice the fennel bulb lengthways, keeping the root intact so that the slices hold their shape.
- 3 Put in a roasting tin, drizzle with 1 tbsp of the oil, season and roast for 20 minutes, until golden.
- 4 Meanwhile, thread the bread and tomatoes alternately on to the wooden skewers.
- 5 In a bowl, mix the remaining olive oil with the basil.
- 6 Season and brush generously over the skewers.
- 7 Heat a griddle pan to hot or fire up the barbecue.
- 8 Cook the skewers for 2 mins each side, until the bread is golden and crisp, and the tomatoes are blistered.
- 9 Whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss through the roasted fennel and salad leaves.
- 10 Serve on a large platter and top with the skewers.