Finely slice the onions. Deseed and cut into 1cm-wide strips the red peppers. Trim and cut in half (widthways if thin, lengthways if thick) the asparagus spears. Chop the fresh coriander. Chop the fresh parsley. Crush the garlic cloves. Deseed and finely chop the jalapeño chillies. Juice the limes.
- 1 Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- 2 Add the onion and pepper; season, then fry, stirring regularly, until soft and starting to caramelise.
- 3 Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 4 Heat a griddle pan over a medium heat.
- 5 Brush the asparagus spears with the remaining olive oil.
- 6 Add to the griddle pan and season.
- 7 Cook, turning occasionally, for about 4 minutes, or until tender when pricked with a fork and beginning to colour.
- 8 Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 9 To make the chimichurri dressing, combine the crème fraîche, herbs, garlic, chilli and lime juice in a small bowl.
- 10 Meanwhile, bake the ciabatta following the pack instructions, then cut in half along one side.
- 11 Spread both halves evenly with some of the chimichurri crème fraîche.
- 12 Layer the onion and pepper over the bottom half, then top with the asparagus spears.
- 13 Close the ciabatta, cut in half and serve while still warm, with the remaining chimichurri crème fraîche on the side.
Took little effort and a welcomed change to having the typical sandwich ... Best part is that this is super tasty.
Yummy melt in the mouth sandwich. Really is the taste of summer