Using an additional 2 tsp for frying, melt and cool 80g of the unsalted butter. Finely dice the onions. Finely shred the baby spinach leaves. Finely shred the sage leaves. Grate the mature Cheddar. Grate the Braeburn apples. Saving extra to decorate, crush the walnuts. Finely grate the mature Cheddar.
- 1 Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 6. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- 2 Warm the 2 tsp butter in a frying pan and sauté the onion with a pinch of salt until soft and translucent – about 10 minutes.
- 3 Add the spinach and sage, and stir until wilted and soft. Cool.
- 4 In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- 5 In a jug, whisk the melted butter, eggs and yogurt, then pour this over the flour.
- 6 Stir with a spatula until just combined.
- 7 Fold in the cooled onion mixture, the Cheddar, apple and toasted walnuts.
- 8 Spoon into the prepared cases and bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 9 Leave to cool.
- 10 Meanwhile, whisk the cream cheese with the Cheddar and yogurt, plus a pinch of salt and fresh black pepper.
- 11 Top the muffins with the cream cheese mixture, some crushed walnuts and a drizzle of honey.