Zest and juice the oranges. Thickly slice the plums (golden and purple). Beat the eggs.
- 1 Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- 2 Grease and line 2 x 20cm cake tins.
- 3 Mix 4 tbsp orange juice with the honey.
- 4 Cook the plums on a griddle pan until charred, then add to the honey mix. Set aside.
- 5 Beat the butter and sugar until creamy, then gradually beat in the eggs.
- 6 In another bowl, mix the ground almonds, flour and baking powder with ½ tsp salt.
- 7 Fold into the wet mix, with almond extract, orange zest and 3 tbsp orange juice.
- 8 Divide between the tins. Bake for 25-30 mins. Remove from the oven.
- 9 Use a skewer to poke holes in the cakes, brush with the honey and orange mix, then leave in the tins for 10 mins, before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- 10 For the buttercream, beat the butter and sugar until smooth, then beat in the orange juice.
- 11 Use to sandwich together and lightly ice the cakes.
- 12 Strain the plums and arrange on top with the almonds. Chill before serving.